AFSF seeks systemic change in K-12 public education by invoking the creative power of the design process to engender a culture of curiosity and personal initiative in our students.
Current programs include:
- the annual AFSF High School Design Competition
- MYEEP after-school and summer internships in partnership with the City of SF’s Dept. of Youth & Families
- Future Grads summer internships in partnership with sf.citi and the SF Police Dept.
- the AFSF Summer Design Institute (3-week summer program, June & July sessions)
- the Kirby Ward Fitzpatrick prize for the best new building by a small firm.
- our Build SF Institute partnership with SFUSD, to resume shortly.
- …and more to come!
AFSF involves elementary and secondary students in a mentored appreciation of architecture, engineering, construction and the design process. Our programs are unique, combining architects, engineers, designers and business leaders with expertise in the practical world of design and development with teachers’ knowledge of their academic discipline and their skills in pedagogy. This combination of professionals allows students to become the artists and creators they were meant to be. It brings meaning and context to their education.