The Annual Architectural Design Competition for High School Students
The Architectural Foundation of San Francisco
Thanks all students and judges for participating in the 2020
HIGH SCHOOL DESIGN COMPETITION
Click here to watch a video recording of the 51st Annual AFSF High School Design Competition Awards Ceremony:
In the 2020 AFSF High School Design Competition
70 student participants
submitted 45 total entries (28 individual entries and 17 group entries)
from the following 8 schools
- Abraham Lincoln High School – San Francisco, CA
- Burlingame High School – Burlingame, CA
- Lick-Wilmerding High School – San Francisco, CA
- Lowell High School – San Francisco, CA
- Mission San Jose High School – San Jose, CA
- The Nueva School – San Mateo, CA
- Orange Cube Art – Los Angeles, CA and Seoul, South Korea
- Sevenoaks School – Sevenoaks, United Kingdom
- Mark Donohue, California College of the Arts and Visible Research Office
- Glenn Katz, Stanford University
- Richard Hannum, Forgeland Company and AFSF Board of Directors
- Brian Siu Yang, Levy Design Partners
15 total awards were given, including the top three in the categories of Individual Entry (2-way tie for 3rd), Group Entry and Design Process and 5 Honorable Mentions. Students from all 8 schools received recognition.
Best Individual Design, Overall Superiority
- “The Shroom Room”, Josef van Dongen, Abraham Lincoln HS
- “Tuiste van die Kuns”, Monique Percynski, Burlingame HS
- (TIE) “Interim Container Hub”, Sean Zeng, Lowell HS
- (TIE) “Golden Gate Community Center” Nikhil Patel The Nueva School
“Organic & Functional” Anisa Chan, Mission San Jose HS, Audrey Lau, Lowell HS
Best Group Presentation
- “HUB-730”, Ryan Joongi Cho and Woohyuk Choi, Orange Cube Art
- “ADAPT”, Luna Jiang-Qin and Wendy Sandoval Lick-Wilmerding HS
- “Dune Community Center”, Quinn Vamosu and Chandarany Prak-Austin, Lincoln HS
“The Twist” Fionnuala Eastwood and Ryan Glenn, Lincoln HS
“Green Gate Communal Hub” Sandra Chu, Connie Wang and Collin Wong, Lincoln HS
“Project Lotus” Crystal Huang and Uzma Saiyed Lincoln HS
Best Design Process Presentation
- “Catalyst Hub”, Lucy Zuo, Sevenoaks School
- “Project Vesta”, Katherine Lai, Leslie Lam and Xiao Qing Situ, Lincoln HS
- “Haight & Stanyan Hub”, MacKenzie Enriquez Lowell HS
CONGRATULATIONS TO ALL OF YOUR WINNERS!
And thank you once again to ALL participants and judges.
We look forward to seeing you in September for the annual AFSF Awards Ceremony. Stay tuned for details!
And of course…
We Look Forward to Your Participation in the 2021 High School Design Competition!
Classroom Support for Teachers:
Ryan Lee of Woods Bagot, the Competition Chair and Author is available to visit your classroom and discuss the program with your students. Call him at 415-277-3041 or e-mail him at Ryan.Lee@woodsbagot.com to set up a classroom visit. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact Ryan.
This year’s 2020 competition is sponsored by Forge Land Company | Sustainable and affordable living for the urban environment